The pedestrian count has specific application for each of three important criteria for CBD pedestrian planning: mobility, safety, and pleasure.
The main objective of Pedestrian survey is to assess the pedestrian flow along and across the intersecting arm at the important junction and mid blocks to suggest improvement for safe movement of pedestrians. The special pedestrian survey needs to be conducted when the alignment passes by such locations, e.g., school, Hospitals, well, etc. on one side of alignment and the village on the other side, to decide the provisions of appropriate crossings, such as subway.
The importance of pedestrian counts:
Pedestrian count survey plays a vital role in accidents Circumstances like; pedestrian accidents happens in variety ways; the most common type involves pedestrian crossing or entering the street at or between intersections.
Dating: It is used to indicate the sudden appearance of a pedestrian from behind a vehicle or other sight obstruction.
Dashing: It refers to the running pedestrians.
- The nature of the local community- Walking is more likely to occur in a community that has a high symmetry of young people.
- Car ownership –There are so many private cars are available that slenderized the amount of walking, even for short journeys.
- Local land use activities- For short distance trips, walking is primarily used. Accordingly, the distance between local origins and destinations (e.g. Homes and school, homes, and shops) are an important factor influencing the level of demand, particularly for the young and elderly.
- The quality of provision- If good quality pedestrian facilities are provided, The demand will be increased, If good quality pedestrian facilities are provided.
- Safety and security- It are important that pedestrians comprehend the facilities to be safe and secure. For pedestrians, this means freedom from conflict with a motor vehicle, as well as a minimal threat of personal attack and the risk of tripping on uneven surfaces.