Driverless car or self-driving car or an automated car or an autonomous vehicle is a robotic vehicle that is designed to travel without a human interaction. To enable as fully automated vehicle, a vehicle must be able to navigate without human interrupt to a fixed destination over roads.
Driverless cars offer many benefits by reducing accidents due to human error, reducing public and private transportation costs, and by allowing greater mobility of more people who previously found mobility difficult.
THE FUTURE OF DRIVING
As we all know driverless cars will have users and not drivers, those vehicles have to self diagnose issues on wearing parts. To self-diagnose traditionally, these cars would need sensors placed on each wearing car part, which would notify the car computer system of any issues. Hence decided to work with CARFIT’s Sensor technology, that would be good for driverless cars as only one sensor would be needed to monitor tires, wheels, shock absorbers and brakes and excessively reduces the complexity of creating a self-diagnose system. This will increase the safety of driverless cars, and allow auto professionals to better monitor their performance. Driverless car maintenance technology is key for safety and optimal driving performance. Because of these reasons we can predict that driverless cars will accumulate more mileage than cars today.
How they work?
- The driver needs to set a destination. The software calculates a route and starts the car on its way.
- LIDAR – Light Detection and Ranging technology monitors a 60-meter range around the car and creates a dynamic 3D map of the surroundings.
- Placed sensor to monitor sideways movement to detect the car’s position relative to the 3-D map.
- Radar which are in the front and rear bumpers calculate distances to obstacles.
- Artificial intelligence software in the car is connected to all the sensors and video cameras inside the car.
- The AI simulates human feelings and decision-making processes and controls actions in driver-control systems such as steering and brakes.
- Software have Google Maps for advance of things like landmarks and traffic signs and lights.
- An override function is available to allow a human to take control of the vehicle.
How Driverless cars are going to change the world of transportation??
Safety – It’s true that humans are no good at driving, driverless cars will never drive drunk and will not be able to speed, take reckless chances or race their mates away from traffic lights. Software’s have far quicker reactions, enabling them to stop more suddenly if something happens. Driverless cars don’t lose.
Time – You can save the time rather than driving a car.
Parking – No more parking tickets, no more dented bumpers, no more endlessly driving in circles waiting for a neighbour to leave. This will free up urban road space for wider pavements and cycle lanes.
Reduced traffic congestion- Driverless cars will travel at much more consistent speeds and closer together as they have faster breaking times.
Efficient use of fuel- Driverless cars will operate uniformly, providing smooth, consistent breaking and accelerating and reducing fuel waste.
Because of these reasons, it is plain to see that driverless cars will be the transport choice of the future.